The Frenchy’est of Toast
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp molasses
1/2 cup orange juice
8 slices home-style bread, with crusts cut off
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp Grand Marnier
1 cup low-fat sour cream
1 cup fresh, ripe berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries or strawberries)
1. The evening before serving, mix melted butter, brown sugar, molasses and orange juice in a 2-cup measuring cup. Pour into 13x9x2-inch pan. Dip both sides of the bread slices in the mixture, then place slices in the pan in two layers.
2. Combine eggs, milk, vanilla and Grand Marnier in blender. Pour mixture over bread. Refrigerate overnight.
3. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake French toast for 45 minutes, or until nicely puffed or golden.
4. Mix sour cream with a fork and enough sugar for a slightly sweet taste; about 1-2 tbsp.
5. Cut French toast into squares and flip over onto plates. Spoon on sour cream topping and cover with fresh berries. Serve warm.
Original recipe by Carolynn Richardson; adapted from Blue Ribbon Recipes.